Indian knit processors have realised the immense benefits of switching over from tubular to open width processing for knit fabrics. Several processors in the country have already converted their knit process houses to open width bleaching, cold pad batch dyeing and washing.
The knit mercerisation uptrend has been prevalent since over 15 years. However, the growth in knit mercerisation was constrained as it so far was applicable only for tubular fabrics. Tubular mercerisation has its own limitations – it creates visible marks on the edges of fabric and it also causes a lot of effluent treatment issues due to the high chemical oxygen demand load per unit of fabric treated. This is where the development of the open width knit mercerisation process has helped considerably, as this process not only mitigates these issues faced by tubular mercerisation, but also improves the quality of fabric in terms of feel and comfort. It also has higher savings in dyeing related processing costs as compared to unmercerised cotton knits. However, open width knit mercerisation will soon be an integral part of the sequence of knitted fabric processing.
Benefits of Goller open width knit merceriser
- Better absorbency properties obtained in mercerised fabric as compared to unmercerised fabrics
- Saving of dyes up to 15-20% when compared to unmercerised varieties
- Achieving excellent colour depths, especially medium dark or dark shade printed fabric
- Less pilling
- Less shrinkage of finished fabric in domestic washing
- Higher quality compared to tubular knit mercerisation
- Lower utility consumption per unit of fabric as compared to tubular knit mercerisation
- Different process conditions applied in open width knit mercerisation
- Cold/room/hot mercerising
Technical and utility data of Goller knit mercerisation:
- Process: dry on wet, room mercerising (wet on wet/cold/hot as option)
- Fabric quality: 100% cotton, cotton/viscose blends at lower caustic strengths
- Production speed: 20-30 or 30-40m/min configuration available
- Chemicals: caustic soda, acetic acid
- Caustic consumption: approx. 140g/kg of fabric @25Be
- Water consumption: approx. 5 – 6 [L/kg]
- Steam consumption: approx. 0.5 – 0.6 [kg/kg]
Goller has already successfully installed eight open width knit mercerisers worldwide including one commissioned recently in a knit process house at Kolkata. Considering the benefits and current trends, open width mercerisation is no doubt the way forward for open width knit processing factories in India.